Thursday, October 20, 2011

Rethinking Power Dressing

A lot of books about wardrobe color talk about the cultural statements certain colors wear. I started a database of those constructs as I read the different books, but it got lost or deleted. Dang.

For example, black has long been considered the power clothing color.  Brown is considered more sensible. Purple is royalty, green is relaxing, blue means loyalty, red is "Va va VOOM".

Every business person in Korea wears black. They called my husband a "playboy" for the colorful clothes he was wearing. Here he is, pictured in his travel clothes in the demilitarized zone between North and South Korea. Those guards are the same height as my 6'4" husband!

Now to the point of my post:  I've been thinking of in light of the recent Occupy Wall Street protests.  Maybe it's time for Wall Street to get back to wearing brown, the more "sensible" color.

No comments:

Post a Comment